Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New @ Birdhouse

Debra Broz / Curio: My Little Oddities

Open Reception:
Sunday, October 17th
6-9pm

"I explore the fine line between the ordinary and the strange – seeking the gesture that links familiarity and the unexpected. By working with found objects I create within the limits of an existing schematic. I am interested in how common objects are suddenly noticed when they are recontextualized.

Change often brings a sense of uneasiness – my work often draws on this idea. The alterations may not improve an object, but can modify the thinking surrounding it creating disgust, humor, confusion or fascination.

I am also interested in the psychology of collecting – the particular mindset that supports the love of non-functional, decorative objects. An object-lover myself, I am constantly considering the repercussions of the pleasure of having. Collected objects have an intense preciousness to the collector, but can have a vastly different meaning to others who are outside the relationship between the collector and their collection."

-Debra Broz

No comments:

Post a Comment